Saturday, September 29, 2012

Word of the Day

I've gone my whole life thinking REDD was just a name.
Maybe with origins from a man who had red hair.
Maybe red with a stutter.
Maybe red with emphasis.
Maybe someone with a stutter who is very emphatic. 
I didn't really know.

Then one day recently my friend enlightened me with the true meaning of REDD.
I didn't believe him until I looked it up on Dictionary.com and sure enough it read: 


REDD:
noun the spawning area or nest of trout or salmon


Seriously?!
I had NO idea! 

How does REDD go from being a just a name to meaning that, of all things?

Oddly enough, it also means:


REDD:
verb (used with object), redd or redd·ed, redd·ing.

to put in order; tidy: to redd a room for company.
to clear: to redd the way.

because knowing what it really means has made me feel like my life is completely out of order slash turned upside down, if you will. 

1 comment:

Keri said...

I'm pretty sure the Amish use it in the verb form when they speak.